Subject: Re: PATCH: Network Device Naming mechanism and policy

From: Scott James Remnant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:41:15 +0100

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 09:51 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:

> As has been noted here, MAC addresses are not necessarily unique to an
> interface.  As such, we are not proposing a net/by-mac/* symlink to
> /dev/netdev/*.
> 
On the other hand, they *tend* to be unique for a wide range of systems.
This makes them pretty comparable to LABELs on disks, and we have
a /dev/disk/by-label

Remember that udev already supports symlink stacking, and priorities and
such.

I don't think there's any danger of supporting a /dev/netdev/by-mac by
default, it'll be a benefit to most and those who don't have unique MACs
will just ignore it.

Scott
-- 
Scott James Remnant
[email-masked]