Subject: Current wireless-testing breaks libpcap: mr_alen should be set

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 20:00:48 -0500

Hello!

The current wireless-testing appears to have some non-wireless bits from
the upcoming Linux 2.6.34.  As a result, libpcap and all capture
programs that use it are broken.

This patch to libpcap helps:

--- a/pcap-linux.c
+++ b/pcap-linux.c
@@ -1563,6 +1563,7 @@ live_open_new(pcap_t *handle, const char
 			memset(&mr, 0, sizeof(mr));
 			mr.mr_ifindex = handle->md.ifindex;
 			mr.mr_type    = PACKET_MR_PROMISC;
+			mr.mr_alen    = 6;
 			if (setsockopt(sock_fd, SOL_PACKET,
 				PACKET_ADD_MEMBERSHIP, &mr, sizeof(mr)) == -1)
 			{

libpcap git doesn't have the fix yet.

The breakage must be coming from the commit 914c8ad2 by Jiri Pirko to
net/packet/af_packet.c

I think it's very unhelpful to introduce patches that break significant
userspace functionality without giving the affected programs an advance
warning.

Also, pulling bleeding edge stuff into wireless-testing before rc1
appears to be either a mistake or a bad decision.

Sorry for cross-post, but it's an urgent issue.  Repliers are encouraged
to trim the recipient list as necessary.

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin