Subject: Re: Linux support for 802.3af?

From: Ben Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 00:43:05 +0000

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 17:01 -0700, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
> I was looking at this Marvell-based 4-port PCI card with PoE and
> thinking it would be handy for powering cameras and ip-phones, but don't
> remember seeing any kernel support for 802.3af...
> 
> http://www.korenix.com/jetcard-PoE_Universal_PCI_Card-2215-overview.htm
> 
> There's no support for 802.3af, right?

The standard MDIO ioctls can be used to access registers 11 and 12 on
PHYs with integrated PSE functionality.  There is no way of indicating
whether a PHY has such functionality, but a flag for this could be added
to the mdio_support field of struct ethtool_cmd.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
Not speaking for my employer; that's the marketing department's job.
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.