Subject: Re: [Patch v2] netpoll: warn when there are spaces in parameters

From: Matt Mackall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:24:16 -0500

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 09:44 +0800, Cong Wang wrote:
> Matt Mackall wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 04:59 -0400, Amerigo Wang wrote:
> >> +			printk(KERN_INFO "%s: warning: whitespace"
> >> +					"is not allowed\n", np->name);
> > 
> > Is it a warning or is it info? If it's a warning, then we probably need
> > to add "netpoll" or whatever to the message so that people who've got a
> > warning-level threshold will know what it's about.
> > 
> 
> If you mean KERN_INFO, yeah, I want to keep it in the same level
> as other messages around.

I should probably be more direct: I think that's the wrong thing to do.
It IS a warning (it even says so!) telling users that something probably
won't work and why and they might miss it if the severity is INFO and
then come and ask us why things aren't working. So use KERN_WARN,
please.

The other messages are INFO because when things are working, they're not
interesting.

> Also, I already put "np->name" which will be "netconsole" when
> we use netconsole.

Ahh, right, I have a brain cell somewhere that knew that.

-- 
http://selenic.com : development and support for Mercurial and Linux