Subject: Re: Minimizing TCP latency

From: Ben Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 04:20:03 +0100

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 15:36 +1300, Ben Hoyt wrote:
> > Choose low-latency NICs.  Read the tuning guide, but run your own
> > benchmarks.
> 
> Is this the tuning guide you're referring to?
> http://fasterdata.es.net/TCP-tuning/linux.html

No, and that doesn't say anything about latency.

There are quite a few generic tuning knobs (buffer and ring sizes,
interrupt moderation and affinity).  However, many vendors of
high-performance NICs, including Solarflare, provide a performance
tuning guide as part of their documentation, which can include
hardware-specific advice.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
Not speaking for my employer; that's the marketing department's job.
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.