Subject: Re: loosing IPMI-card by loading netconsole

From: Matt Mackall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 17:16:53 -0500

On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 00:11 +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> On 05/14/2010 07:37 PM, Matt Mackall wrote:
> >> On 2.6.27.39, netconsole + IPMI works fine.  On 2.6.32.7, as soon as
> >> netconsole is loaded, IPMI stops working.  Unloading netconsole
> >> doesn't revive IPMI but detaching the driver from the controller does.
> >> In both cases, usual networking works fine.
> > 
> > Looks like a job for bisect.
> 
> Yeap, sure, it would be effective but I kind of want to leave
> bisection as the last resort.  Bisection is a somewhat painful process
> especially when the machine isn't right next to you and someone who
> has overall knowledge can often identify the problem much easier with
> appropriate debugging info.

Well nothing jumps to mind in the netpoll/netconsole code and I haven't
heard any similar reports. My guess is it's something obscure, so I
think the sooner you start bisecting... Even one or two tests will get
us a lot closer to figuring out what changed in the last 1.5 years.

-- 
Mathematics is the supreme nostalgia of our time.