Subject: Re: [RFC] netfilter: WIP: Xtables idletimer target implementation

From: Luciano Coelho <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 23:11:38 +0300

On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 21:51 +0200, ext Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Monday 2010-05-31 21:12, Luciano Coelho wrote:
> >
> >I considered this option, but then I didn't find a proper place where to
> >include the attribute in sysfs, since I cannot add it as part of the
> >interface (eg. /sys/class/net/wlan0/idletimer) as I was doing before.
> 
> You couldn't have done that before either, because the interface name
> in ipt_ip may refer to an interface that does not exist at all times.

True.  That's why I was using netdevice_notifiers , so that I would
monitor the interface state and add the idletimer attribute when a timer
was associated with the interface that went up.  But now the rules are
not interface specific, so it cannot be done like that anymore.

> >The other option would be to make the idletimer as part of the
> >xt_IDLETIMER module object in sysfs
> >(ie. /sys/module/xt_IDLETIMER/<user_supplied_name>), but it looks out of
> >place.
> 
> I like it. It follows /proc/net/xt_{hashlimit,recent}/<user_supplied_name>.
> 
> >And I think adding it as /sys/class/net/idletimer is most likely
> >out of the question.
> 
> It follows /sys/class/leds/...
> 
> 
> I'm impartial though.

Okay, so this can be done in either place.  I tend to
prefer /sys/class/net/idletimer.

What about my other proposal of creating generic timers and associating
them with certain interfaces whenever we get a hit? I mean, to add the
idletimer attribute to eg. /sys/class/net/wlan0/idletimer when a packet
reaches the target from wlan0?

-- 
Cheers,
Luca.