Subject: Re: [PATCH] netfilter: xtables: userspace notification target

From: Luciano Coelho <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:24:33 +0300

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 13:49 +0200, ext Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Tuesday 2010-07-13 12:23, Luciano Coelho wrote:
> >> 
> >> Indeed, this looks to me like something that you can do with NFLOG and
> >> some combination of matches.
> >
> >Is it possible to have the NFLOG send only one notification to the
> >userspace? In the example above, once the quota exceeds, the userspace
> >will be notified of every packet arriving, won't it?  That would cause
> >unnecessary processing in the userspace.
> >
> >The userspace could remove the rule when it gets the first notification
> >and only add it again when it needs to get the information again (as a
> >"toggle" functionality), but I think that would take too long and there
> >would be several packets going through before the rule could be removed.
> 
> With xt_condition that should not be a problem
> (-A INPUT -m condition --name ruleXYZ -j NFLOG..)
> This is settable through procfs.

Right.  I didn't know about the condition match, because I can't see it
either on net-next-2.6 nor on nf-next-2.6.  I found your patch in the
netfilter-devel archives, though.  Any idea when it will be applied?

-- 
Cheers,
Luca.