Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/8] net: Allow setting the network namespace by fd

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:16:58 -0400

On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 16:09 +0200, David Lamparter wrote:

> I understood your point. What I'm saying is that that functional graph
> you're describing is too simplistic do be a workable model. Your graph
> allows for what you're trying to do, yes. But your graph is not modeling
> the reality.

How about we put this specific point to rest by agreeing to
disagree? ;->

> Err... I'm migrating netdevs to assign them to namespaces to allow them
> to use them? Setup, basically. Either way a device move only happens as
> result of some administrative action; be it creating a new namespace or
> changing the physical/logical network setup.
> 

Ok, different need. You have a much more basic requirement than i do.

> wtf is a "remote" namespace?
> 

A namespace that is remotely located on another machine/hardware ;->

> Can you please describe your application that requires moving possibly
> several network devices together with "their" routes to a different
> namespace?

scaling and availability are the driving requirements.

cheers,
jamal