Subject: Re: extended netdevice naming proposal

From: Ben Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 02:29:57 +0000

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 21:10 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Matt Domsch ([email-masked]) said: 
> > (location)(slot)#(port)/(instance).(vlan)
> 
> AIUI, the kernel explicitly rejects '/' in the name (for fairly obvious
> sysfs reasons.) So you'd at least need a different delimiter. There may
> also be potential confusion with pci01#03:02.0001 with someone thinking
> that's bus/dev/fn, if we're being really petty.

':' is also reserved for alias interfaces, the old way of assigning
multiple IP addresses.

I would say '-' is a good separator, but that might result in ambiguity
in IRQ names.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
Not speaking for my employer; that's the marketing department's job.
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.