Subject: Re: [PATCH net-2.6 2/3] bonding: Change active slave quietly when bond is down

From: Ben Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:06:15 +0000

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 12:41 -0800, Jay Vosburgh wrote:
> Ben Hutchings <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> >bond_change_active_slave() may be called when a slave is added, even
> >if the bond has not been brought up yet.  It may then attempt to send
> >packets, and further it may use mcast_work which is uninitialised
> >before the bond is brought up.  Add the necessary checks for
> >netif_running(bond->dev).
> 
> 	I wondered if it would be better to instead arrange for
> bond_change_active_slave (and bond_select_active_slave, which calls it)
> to not be called when the bond is down, but that would require quite a
> bit of change to bond_enslave and bond_open.
[...]

Yes, it did seem to me that it would be better to defer all these
actions until bond_open, but I thought that would be too risky at this
stage in the release cycle.  Please do clean this up further in
net-next-2.6.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
Not speaking for my employer; that's the marketing department's job.
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.