Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 21/22] netoops: Add user-programmable boot_id

From: Matt Mackall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 16:06:18 -0600

On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 13:59 -0800, Mike Waychison wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Matt Mackall <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 13:30 -0800, Mike Waychison wrote:
> >> Add support for letting userland define a 32bit boot id.  This is useful
> >> for users to be able to correlate netoops reports to specific boot
> >> instances offline.
> >
> > This sounds a lot like the pre-existing /proc/sys/kernel/random/boot_id
> > that's used by kerneloops.org.
> 
> Could be.  I'm looking at it now... There is no documentation for this
> boot_id field?

Probably not. It's just a random number generated at boot.

> Reusing this guy would work, except that it doesn't appear to allow
> arbitrary values to be set.  We need to inject our boot sequence
> number (which is figured out in userland) in the packet somehow as we
> need to correlate it to our other monitoring systems.

What happens if you oops before userspace is available?

-- 
Mathematics is the supreme nostalgia of our time.