Subject: [PATCH 2/2] bridge: Use IPv6 link-local address for multicast listener queries

From: Linus Lüssing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:17:52 +0100

Currently the bridge multicast snooping feature periodically issues
IPv6 general multicast listener queries to sense the absence of a
listener.

For this, it uses :: as its source address - however RFC 2710 requires:
"To be valid, the Query message MUST come from a link-local IPv6 Source
Address". Current Linux kernel versions seem to follow this requirement
and ignore our bogus MLD queries.

With this commit a link local address from the bridge interface is being
used to issue the MLD query, resulting in other Linux devices which are
multicast listeners in the network to respond with a MLD response (which
was not the case before).

Signed-off-by: Linus Lüssing <[email-masked]>
---
 net/bridge/br_multicast.c |    3 ++-
 1 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)

diff --git a/net/bridge/br_multicast.c b/net/bridge/br_multicast.c
index f904a2e..2d88861 100644
--- a/net/bridge/br_multicast.c
+++ b/net/bridge/br_multicast.c
@@ -446,7 +446,8 @@ static struct sk_buff *br_ip6_multicast_alloc_query(struct net_bridge *br,
 	ip6h->payload_len = htons(8 + sizeof(*mldq));
 	ip6h->nexthdr = IPPROTO_HOPOPTS;
 	ip6h->hop_limit = 1;
-	ipv6_addr_set(&ip6h->saddr, 0, 0, 0, 0);
+	ipv6_dev_get_saddr(dev_net(br->dev), br->dev, &ip6h->daddr, 0,
+			   &ip6h->saddr);
 	ipv6_addr_set(&ip6h->daddr, htonl(0xff020000), 0, 0, htonl(1));
 	ipv6_eth_mc_map(&ip6h->daddr, eth->h_dest);
 
-- 
1.7.2.3