Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/42] Kill -Wunused-but-set warnings

From: Ben Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 03:19:15 +0100

On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 17:32 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> The weather is real nice, so I decided to lock myself inside and
> fix compiler warnings.
> 
> I started using gcc-4.6.x on my primary sparc64 build test machine the
> other week and it now enables -Wunused-but-set with -Wall and it does
> catch a bunch of bogus stuff.
[...]

In most of these cases there is presumably no need for the variable at
all.  In others, the variable should have been used - which I believe is
the main reason for the warning - and by removing it you will be hiding
a bug.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare
Not speaking for my employer; that's the marketing department's job.
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.