Subject: Re: [PATCH] ethtool: ETHTOOL_SFEATURES: remove NETIF_F_COMPAT return

From: Ben Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 14:37:46 +0100

On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 15:28 +0200, Michał Mirosław wrote:
> Remove NETIF_F_COMPAT since it's redundant and will be unused after
> all drivers are converted to fix/set_features.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Michał Mirosław <[email-masked]>
> ---
> 
> For net as we don't want to have ETHTOOL_F_COMPAT hit stable release.
[...]

ETHTOOL_F_WISH means that the requested features could not all be
enabled, *but are remembered*.  ETHTOOL_F_COMPAT means they were not
remembered.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare
Not speaking for my employer; that's the marketing department's job.
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.