Subject: Re: small RPS cache for fragments?

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 11:06:19 -0700

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 19:15 +0200, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> Le lundi 06 juin 2011 à 10:08 -0700, Rick Jones a écrit :
> 
> > Mode-rr bonding reorders TCP segments all the time. 
> 
> Shouldnt TCP frames have DF bit set ?

I was ass-u-me-ing that when talking about TCP, David was speaking
generally about TCP segments, and suggesting that were bonding's mode-rr
altered to not re-order TCP segments, a similar technique
could/would/should avoid re-ordering IP datagram fragments, regardless
of their payload.

Jay will have to weigh-in on how difficult that would be, I'm guessing
it would mean a fair bit of overhead to mode-rr though, to know the
completion status of frames from the same flow and/or the depth of the
tx queues etc etc.  I thought that one of mode-rr's (few IMO, just check
the archives where I've complained about it :) redeeming qualities was
its minimal overhead.

rick jones