Subject: Re: [Patch net-next v5 0/5] vxlan: add ipv6 support

From: Cong Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 14:59:01 +0800

On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 23:51 -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 14:27:35 +0800
> Cong Wang <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > After several tries, I think it is not easy to do at all, it relies on
> > some icmp functions at least, which are still compiled as a module. So,
> > I can't think out any easier solution than simply adding Kconfig
> > dependency.
> 
> Why is IPv6 support depending on ICMP functions? Everything doesn't
> have to be hyper optimized, at least not initially.

VXLAN relies on IPv6 multicast which is on top of ICMPv6. At very least
igmp6_send() calls icmpv6_flow_init() and icmp6_dst_alloc() in the code.

Bridge multicast snooping only parses some multicast packets, which
seems much easier than maintaining multicast group ownership.

Yeah, I definitely agree on that we can fix this later, if David has no
objections.

Thanks.