Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] pch_gbe: Add MinnowBoard support

From: Darren Hart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:13:54 -0700

On Fri, 2013-07-12 at 17:58 -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
> The MinnowBoard uses an AR803x PHY with the PCH GBE which requires
> special handling. Use the MinnowBoard PCI Subsystem ID to detect this
> and add a pci_device_id.driver_data structure and functions to handle
> platform setup.
> 
> The AR803x does not implement the RGMII 2ns TX clock delay in the trace
> routing nor via strapping. Add a detection method for the board and the
> PHY and enable the TX clock delay via the registers.
> 
> This PHY will hibernate without link for 10 seconds. Ensure the PHY is
> awake for probe and then disable hibernation. A future improvement would
> be to convert pch_gbe to using PHYLIB and making sure we can wake the
> PHY at the necessary times rather than permanently disabling it.

If anyone is following along to see where this goes, I have made this
change independent of the minnowboard platform drivers and have resent
it with all the collected feedback on to netdev following the netdev
rules I was recently made aware of. Please follow along there if you are
interested.

-- 
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center
Yocto Project - Linux Kernel