Subject: Re: RFC: disablenetwork facility. (v4)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:24:49 -0500

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:31:09 EST, Michael Stone said:

> > Actually it does. Policy may well be "If the network works, noone can
> > log in locally, because administration is normally done over
> > network. If the network fails, larger set of people is allowed in,
> > because something clearly went wrong and we want anyone going around
> > to fix it."
> 
> Have you actually seen this security policy in real life? I ask because it
> seems quite far-fetched to me. Networks are just too easy to attack. Seems to
> me, from this casual description, that you're just asking to be ARP- or
> DNS-poisoned and rooted with this one.

Actually, I've seen a *lot* of similar "if things fail, more people can login
to fix it" policies.  For instance, a default Fedora box will require a root
password to login - but if you can't get to multi-user because the box is
scrozzled and boot into single user, no root password is required.

So if you're using Fedora and LDAP authentication, and reboot to single-user
to fix an LDAP issue, you do in fact have that policy in real life...

(And before you start shouting "but that's a stupid config to make root login
depend on LDAP", note that for many Microsoft Active Directory shops, they add
machines with Administrator rights for an Active Directory group, and then
disable local Administrator, which is exactly the same thing...  Stupid or
not, it's a *very* common policy.)