Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 net-next] net: ipv6: Add a sysctl to make optimistic addresses useful candidates

From: Hannes Frederic Sowa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:34:38 +0100

Hi Erik,

On Mi, 2014-10-29 at 18:34 +0900, Erik Kline wrote:
> Given that we spoke about this reduction in the number of netlink messages
> earlier, do you still think it's an issue?

No, it would be nice to have but as this is just a minor detail and
complexity would be too high I am fine with your current solution.

> The end result here is that for listeners on netlink sockets on systems
> that (a) have optimistic dad built-in, (b) have optimistic dad enabled, and
> (c) have use_optimistic set: they'll 2 notifications (with different flags)
> for automatically added addresses on these interfaces.

Ack, I see.

> (Personally, given that we appear to send an RTM_NEWADDR when the address
> gets deprecated (I think), I think sending one on every flag change of
> interest is in keeping with existing behaviour.)

It does make sense, I have no objections.

Bye,
Hannes