Subject: [PATCH 00/10] net: phy: add device-type abstraction

From: Johan Hovold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 12:59:13 +0100

This series adds device and device-type abstractions to the micrel
driver, and enables support for RMII-reference clock selection for
KSZ8081 and KSZ8091 devices.

While adding support for more features for the Micrel PHYs mentioned
above, it became apparent that the configuration space is much too large
and that adding type-specific callbacks will simply not scale. Instead I
added a driver_data field to struct phy_device, which can be used to
store static device type data that can be parsed and acted on in
generic driver callbacks. This allows a lot of duplicated code to be
removed, and should make it much easier to add new features or deal with
device-type quirks in the future.

The series has been tested on a dual KSZ8081 setup. Further testing on
other Micrel PHYs would be much appreciated.

The recent commit a95a18afe4c8 ("phy/micrel: KSZ8031RNL RMII clock
reconfiguration bug") currently prevents KSZ8031 PHYs from using the
generic config-init. Bruno, who is the author of that patch, has agreed
to test this series and some follow-up diagnostic patches to determine
how best to incorporate these devices as well. I intend to send a
follow-up patch that removes the custom 8031 config-init and documents
this quirk, but the current series can be applied meanwhile.

These patches are against net-next which contains some already merged
prerequisite patches to the driver.

Johan

Johan Hovold (10):
  net: phy: add static data field to struct phy_driver
  net: phy: micrel: add device-type abstraction
  net: phy: micrel: parse of nodes at probe
  net: phy: micrel: add has-broadcast-disable flag to type data
  net: phy: micrel: add generic clock-mode-select support
  net: phy: micrel: add support for clock-mode select to KSZ8081/KSZ8091
  dt/bindings: reformat micrel eth-phy documentation
  dt/bindings: add clock-select function property to micrel phy binding
  net: phy: micrel: refactor interrupt config
  net: phy: micrel: add copyright entry

 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/micrel.txt |  37 ++--
 drivers/net/phy/micrel.c                         | 262 ++++++++++++++---------
 include/linux/micrel_phy.h                       |   1 -
 include/linux/phy.h                              |   2 +
 4 files changed, 184 insertions(+), 118 deletions(-)

-- 
2.0.4