Subject: Re: [PATCH] Revert "ipw2200: select CFG80211_WEXT"

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 09:19:19 +0100

On Mon, 2015-01-05 at 23:13 +0100, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> On 01/05/15 23:05, Paul Bolle wrote:
> > On Mon, 2015-01-05 at 19:57 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> >> Multiple other groups of ioctls could be converted in similar patches,
> >> until at the end you can completely remove ipw_wx_handlers and rely
> >> entirely on cfg80211's wext compatibility.
> >>
> >> So far the theory - in practice nobody cared enough to start working on
> >> any of these drivers, let alone actually has the hardware today.
> >
> > So my suggestion to make ipw2200 no longer use cfg80211_wext_giwname()
> > would actually be backwards. What's actually needed, in theory, is to
> > use more of what's provided under CFG80211_WEXT (and, I guess, less of
> > what's provided under WIRELESS_EXT). Did I get that right?
> 
> Yes, but as Johannes indicated it needs consideration what to group in 
> the patches.

Oh, that's not strictly necessary - that was just so it would actually
work after each single patch. If you wanted to, you could do it all in a
single huge patch as well :-) I was explaining though why we did the
cfg80211-wext code the way it is - which enables making smaller changes
that don't break the driver.

johannes

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-wireless" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html