Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 01/14] etherdevice: Add eth_<foo>_addr CONFIG_HAVE_EFFICIENT_UNALIGNED_ACCESS code

From: Joe Perches <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 12:04:28 -0800

On Tue, 2015-03-03 at 14:58 -0500, David Miller wrote:
> From: Joe Perches <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 11:41:09 -0800
> 
> > Until such time as the linux crosstools compilers are updated,
> > (they seem stuck on 4.6.3 from 3 years ago)
> > https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/
> > I think the series is a trivial, small improvement.
> 
> You are even admitting that even for your specific case you are
> using 3+ year old compiler technology.

That's what I said.  How is it an "admission"?
Those are the kernel.org "recommended" cross-compilers.

> These are slow paths, so correctness is the most important aspect.
> 
> Converting these locations to consistently use eth_*() is fine,
> but then "optimizing" a 6 by memset for configuration paths when
> the compiler should be more than capable of doing this just fine
> is not convincing at all to me.

Swell, then perhaps you could simply skip 1/14.