Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH net-next 0/8] Convert some skb_<foo> functions to void

From: Joe Perches <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 13:32:30 -0700

On Mon, 2015-05-04 at 13:05 -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
> unsigned char * return values are sometimes awkward to work with.
> Changing the return to void * is sometimes clearer.
> 
> The only uses of the return type is to do sets like
>     *skb_puts(skb, 1) = char;
>     
> Adding another function specifically for that purpose allows the return
> type to become void.

Obviously, this shouldn't be applied as-is.

It spans too many subsystems and can be done
more incrementally.

Also, there are some missing conversions so
this won't compile properly (sorry 'bout that)

These will also need conversions:

drivers/isdn/i4l/isdn_ppp.c:1311:       *skb_push(skb, 4) = 1; /* indicate outbound */
drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.c:1208:             *skb_push(skb, 2) = 1;
drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.c:1843:                     *skb_push(skb, 2) = 0;
drivers/nfc/pn533.c:2601:                               *skb_push(frag, sizeof(u8)) =
drivers/nfc/pn533.c:2604:                               *skb_push(frag, sizeof(u8)) =  1; /* TG */
drivers/nfc/pn533.c:2671:                       *skb_push(skb, sizeof(u8)) =  1; /* TG */
net/nfc/digital_dep.c:152:              *skb_push(skb, sizeof(u8)) = DIGITAL_NFC_DEP_NFCA_SOD_SB;
net/nfc/digital_technology.c:1164:      *skb_push(skb, sizeof(u8)) = size + 1;
net/nfc/rawsock.c:145:  *skb_push(skb, NFC_HEADER_SIZE) = 0;

The isdn and ppp_generic uses maybe should be
2 lines each for a little better clarity.