Subject: [V2 0/7] introduce Hyper-V VM Sockets(hvsock)

From: Dexuan Cui <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 02:56:37 -0700

Changes since v1:
- updated "[V2 6/7] hvsock: introduce Hyper-V VM Sockets feature"
	- added __init and __exit for the module init/exit functions
	- net/hv_sock/Kconfig: "default m" -> "default m if HYPERV"
	- MODULE_LICENSE: "Dual MIT/GPL" -> "Dual BSD/GPL" 

Hyper-V VM Sockets (hvsock) is a byte-stream based communication mechanism
between Windowsd 10 (or later) host and a guest. It's kind of TCP over
VMBus, but the transportation layer (VMBus) is much simpler than IP.
With Hyper-V VM Sockets, applications between the host and a guest can
talk with each other directly by the traditional BSD-style socket APIs.

The patchset implements the necessary support in the guest side by adding
the necessary new APIs in the vmbus driver, and introducing a new driver
hv_sock.ko, which implements_a new socket address family AF_HYPERV.

I know the kernel has already had a VM Sockets driver (AF_VSOCK) based
on VMware's VMCI (net/vmw_vsock/, drivers/misc/vmw_vmci), and KVM is
proposing AF_VSOCK of virtio version:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network/365205.

However, though Hyper-V VM Sockets may seem conceptually similar to
AF_VOSCK, there are differences in the transportation layer, and IMO these
make the direct code reusing impractical:

1. In AF_VSOCK, the endpoint type is: <u32 ContextID, u32 Port>, but in
AF_HYPERV, the endpoint type is: <GUID VM_ID, GUID ServiceID>. Here GUID
is 128-bit.

2. AF_VSOCK supports SOCK_DGRAM, while AF_HYPERV doesn't.

3. AF_VSOCK supports some special sock opts, like SO_VM_SOCKETS_BUFFER_SIZE,
SO_VM_SOCKETS_BUFFER_MIN/MAX_SIZE and SO_VM_SOCKETS_CONNECT_TIMEOUT.
These are meaningless to AF_HYPERV.

4. Some AF_VSOCK's VMCI transportation ops are meanless to AF_HYPERV/VMBus,
like    .notify_recv_init
        .notify_recv_pre_block
        .notify_recv_pre_dequeue
        .notify_recv_post_dequeue
        .notify_send_init
        .notify_send_pre_block
        .notify_send_pre_enqueue
        .notify_send_post_enqueue
etc.

So I think we'd better introduce a new address family: AF_HYPERV.

Please review the patchset.

Looking forward to your comments!
Dexuan Cui (7):
  Drivers: hv: vmbus: define the new offer type for Hyper-V socket
    (hvsock)
  Drivers: hv: vmbus: define a new VMBus message type for hvsock
  Drivers: hv: vmbus: add APIs to send/recv hvsock packet and get the
    r/w-ability
  Drivers: hv: vmbus: add APIs to register callbacks to process hvsock
    connection
  Drivers: hv: vmbus: add a helper function to set a channel's pending
    send size
  hvsock: introduce Hyper-V VM Sockets feature
  Drivers: hv: vmbus: disable local interrupt when hvsock's callback is
    running

 MAINTAINERS                   |    2 +
 drivers/hv/Makefile           |    4 +-
 drivers/hv/channel.c          |  146 ++++
 drivers/hv/channel_mgmt.c     |   13 +
 drivers/hv/connection.c       |   15 +-
 drivers/hv/hvsock_callbacks.c |   71 ++
 drivers/hv/hyperv_vmbus.h     |    4 +
 drivers/hv/ring_buffer.c      |   14 +
 include/linux/hyperv.h        |   68 ++
 include/linux/socket.h        |    4 +-
 include/net/af_hvsock.h       |   44 ++
 include/uapi/linux/hyperv.h   |   16 +
 net/Kconfig                   |    1 +
 net/Makefile                  |    1 +
 net/hv_sock/Kconfig           |   10 +
 net/hv_sock/Makefile          |    5 +
 net/hv_sock/af_hvsock.c       | 1469 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 17 files changed, 1884 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 drivers/hv/hvsock_callbacks.c
 create mode 100644 include/net/af_hvsock.h
 create mode 100644 net/hv_sock/Kconfig
 create mode 100644 net/hv_sock/Makefile
 create mode 100644 net/hv_sock/af_hvsock.c

-- 
2.1.0