Subject: Re: [net-next 0/8][pull request] Intel Wired LAN Driver Updates 2015-09-17

From: Jeff Kirsher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:58:04 -0700

On Thu, 2015-09-17 at 17:17 -0700, Jeff Kirsher wrote:
> This series contains updates to i40e and i40evf.
> 
> Shannon provides updates to i40e and i40evf to resolve an issue with
> the
> nvmupdate utility.  First renames a variable name to reduce confusion
> and
> to differentiate it from the actual user variable.  Then added the
> ability
> to save the admin queue write back descriptor if a caller supplies a
> buffer for it to be saved into.  Added a new GetStatus command so
> that
> the NVM update tool can query the current status instead of doing
> fake
> write requests to probe for readiness.  Added wait states to the NVM
> update state machine to signify when waiting for an update operation
> to
> finish, whether we are in the middle of a set of write operations, or
> we
> are now idle but waiting.  Then added a facility to run admin queue
> commands through the NVM update utility in order to allow the update
> tools to interact with the firmware and do special commands needed
> for
> updates and configuration changes.  Also added a facility to recover
> the
> result of a previously run admin queue command.

To add, this series adds necessary capability to the driver to extend
the nvmupdate utility to be compatible with the latest released
adapters.  Without it, the already released nvmupdate utilities won't
work.