Subject: Re: WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 2485 at drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/pcie/trans.c:1752 iwl_trans_pcie_grab_nic_access+0x110/0x120 [iwlwifi]

From: "Grumbach, Emmanuel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 04:16:02 +0000

On Fri, 2016-04-15 at 02:07 +0000, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> so I'm seeing this when wlan0 tries to associate. On 4.6-rc2 + tip.
> After that, wifi is dead in the water. Anyone have a clue?
> 
> And 4.5 seems fine, I'm typing from it as we speak.
> ...

<snip>

> [  661.142657] ------------[ cut here ]------------
> [  661.142816] WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 2485 at
> drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/pcie/trans.c:1752
> iwl_trans_pcie_grab_nic_access+0x110/0x120 [iwlwifi]
> [  661.143231] Timeout waiting for hardware access (CSR_GP_CNTRL
> 0xffffffff)
> 

This means that we have an electrical issue that prevents us from
accessing the device over the PCI bus. BAR has been garbaged or alike.
Every time I tried to debug that from the driver side it has ...
failed. Because the "good" in the end did exhibit the problem. So,
unless you are ready to embark for a bisection journey (and hope that
this time when you type 'git bisect good' it is really 'good'), I can't
do much.
What I can suggest is to install our latest backport based tree on 4.5.
This will allow you to have an easily bisectable tree. But it might
very well be that 4.5 + latest driver (equivalent to 4.6 as far as
iwlwifi is concerned) will be fine.
The backport tree is here [1]. Unfortunately, that's the only thing I
can suggest for now.

[1] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/backport-iwlwi
fi.git/
> -- 
> Regards/Gruss,
>     Boris.
> 
> ECO tip #101: Trim your mails when you reply. Srsly.�{.n�+�������+%��lzwm��b�맲��r��zX��"��^�ȧ���ܨ}���Ơz�&j:+v����n�r��6;靫3��\
nnX��f�z��2�ޙ���&�)ߡ�a�����G���h��j:+v���w�٥