Subject: Re: [PATCH] cfg80211/nl80211: add wifi tx power mode switching support

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 09:21:31 +0200

On Thu, 2016-05-05 at 14:44 +0800, Wei-Ning Huang wrote:
> Recent new hardware has the ability to switch between tablet mode and
> clamshell mode. To optimize WiFi performance, we want to be able to
> use different power table between modes. This patch adds a new
> netlink message type and cfg80211_ops function to allow userspace to
> trigger a power mode switch for a given wireless interface.

I'm not a fan of this at all. Too much magic.

FWIW, we implemented something similar, currently with vendor commands,
that simply allows to set the TX power in a more controlled fashion,
i.e. allows setting TX power per band/channel range. For our device
it's only 2.4 GHz vs. 5.2 GHz, but I can imagine that you might want to
split it a bit further, so perhaps we need to advertise those ranges
somehow.

johannes
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-wireless" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html