Subject: Re: [RESEND PATCH 1/3] rfkill: Create "rfkill-airplane-mode" LED trigger

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 14:43:14 +0200

On Thu, 2016-05-19 at 09:16 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > In the original situation, without these patches, userspace has to
> > have a list of all LEDs that are supposed to indicate airplane
> > mode.
> Well, that's situation for many LEDs.

That doesn't make it a *good* situation though.

> > With this patch only (without patch 2/3), userspace can look up the
> > default trigger, but then has to change it, causing the necessary
> > information to be lost immediately when you actually use it - that
> > also seems like a bad idea.
> We should not store "what kind of led this is" in a trigger. 

That's pretty much what I'm arguing though.

> LED
> subsystem seems to use suffix of LED name to do that. So if we
> standartize, lets say "::rfkill" suffix for this, it should work and
> follow existing practice.
[...]
> There is one -- suffix in the LED name.

I don't really think that's a good way, and it doesn't seem to be used
universally, but I suppose it's good enough.

João, that means you should send a patch to add the ::rfkill suffix.

And Pavel should send a patch to document the practice and the existing
suffixes with their meaning ;-)

johannes