Subject: (usagi-users 02636) IPv6: use_tempaddr: how to set per interface instead for default/all?

From: Peter Bieringer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:40:30 +0100

Hi,

looks there exists a hen/egg problem for the "use_tempaddr" (RFC3041
support).

I cannot set it per interface because:

1) if interface is down, the related key
"net.ipv6.conf.<interface>.use_tempaddr" doesn't exist

2) if interface is up, I can change the key, but nothing happen

-> I have to change "net.ipv6.conf.default.use_tempaddr" *before* the
interface where I want to enable this feature will come up.

This is ok for systems with one interface....but on systems with more than
one interface, this is not a good way, because it's very hard (or
impossible) to code proper scripts.

Is there a interface state possible where the sysctl keys per interface are
already available, but interface is still down?

Thanks for any answer.

BTW: are there more keys existing which are only read/functional on the
trigger edge interface down->up?

        Peter
-- 
Dr. Peter Bieringer                     http://www.bieringer.de/pb/
GPG/PGP Key 0x958F422D               mailto: pb at bieringer dot de 
Deep Space 6 Co-Founder and Core Member  http://www.deepspace6.net/