Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/5] netlink: extended ACK reporting

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 15:29:30 +0200

On Thu, 2017-04-13 at 15:27 +0200, Nicolas Dichtel wrote:
> 
> > Yes, some - very few - families still insist on using attribute 0,
> > perhaps parsing by hand or so. Like you say though, the entire
> > infrastructure makes that hard and undesirable, so I don't really
> > see
> > why we need to invest the extra code/work into making it work
> > *here*,
> > especially since it's such a corner case as I described in my other
> > email.
> 
> Here is an example:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/co
> mmit/?id=31e20bad8d58
> 
> I also see one in openvswitch (I will send a similar patch), but
> there are probably some others.

Yeah. I'm not really sure what the point of such a patch is though -
the API is set now, and can't really be changed.

Anyway, the ones you point out are only used for *output* by the
kernel, so wouldn't be affected by any "missing attribute" reporting
anyway.

johannes