Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/5] netlink: extended ACK reporting

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 11:41:34 +0200

On Thu, 2017-04-13 at 14:44 -0700, Joe Stringer wrote
(something that never made it to the list, due to HTML formatting)
> 
> I think that OVS was doing some more elaborate validation than most
> users, so over time we picked up a bunch of extra parsing code that
> layers on top of nla_parse(). I took a look at trying to broaden this
> and make it useful to other users a while ago, but when I posted
> there wasn't much interest from others on it so I just moved on.
> Maybe it's about time to pick that back up.

Ah, ok. I didn't realize it was actually on top of nla_parse(). Some of
this does seem rather useful though, and having more expressive policy
would seem very useful too - I'd love to be able to express nesting
better, for example.

Also, I think we should - at least with the strict checking that Jiri
is proposing - think about checking the actual size, not just against a
minimum.

johannes