Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 00/11] skb_put_zero() used to optimize code

From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 22:11:54 +0200

On Wed, 2017-06-14 at 15:38 -0400, David Miller wrote:

> What do you think about Stephen Hemminger's feedback to make
> skb_put_zero() return "void *".  It will avoid a lot of casts and
> make the conversions look nicer.

I think it's a good idea. I can send a patch, and remove some casts
where they exist - I guess we could also do it even for skb_put()
eventually.

> I'll also defer on this patch series until we have the spatch thing
> which can catch all of them.

I think I have something that covers most cases, will send out an RFC
in a minute (since I'm not sure I was able to build it all yet).

Note that some of the cases like in ipv6/ndisc.c certainly can't be
done automatically, they look correct but are more complicated because
there's not just a single big memset(), but they're doing it piece by
piece (fill some bytes, clear some others, etc.) Might be worth
checking which aren't covered by the spatch.

johannes