Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/4] usbnet: smsc95xx: align tx-buffer to word

From: Ben Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2018 17:53:16 +0100

On Tue, 2018-10-02 at 10:26 +0100, Ben Dooks wrote:
> The tegra driver requires alignment of the buffer, so try and
> make this better by pushing the buffer start back to an word
> aligned address. At the worst this makes memcpy() easier as
> it is word aligned, at best it makes sure the usb can directly
> map the buffer.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Ben Dooks <[email-masked]>
> [todo - make this configurable]
[...]

I don't think you need a separate kconfig symbol for this.  Aligning RX
buffers to words (or better, cache lines) is almost always a win, so
long as the CPU can handle misaligned fields in the network/transport
headers.  You can use #ifdef CONFIG_HAVE_EFFICIENT_UNALIGNED_ACCESS to
check that.

It seems like NET_IP_ALIGN should be defined to 0 or 2 depending on
CONFIG_HAVE_EFFICIENT_UNALIGNED_ACCESS, but NET_IP_ALIGN predates the
latter.

Ben.

-- 
Ben Hutchings, Software Developer                         Codethink Ltd
https://www.codethink.co.uk/                 Dale House, 35 Dale Street
                                     Manchester, M1 2HF, United Kingdom