Subject: net-next branch fails to build on my P8 CI system

From: Abdul Haleem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 11:28:57 +0530

Greeting's

I see a build failure for net-next branch on my Power 8 system

13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr] ./include/linux/u64_stats_sync.h: In function 64_stats_read�:
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr] ./include/linux/u64_stats_sync.h:80:2: warning: passing argument 1 of 鈥榣ocal_read鈥� discards 鈥榗onst鈥� qualifier from pointer target type [enabled by default]
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr]   return local64_read(&p->v);
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr]   ^
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr] In file included from ./include/asm-generic/local64.h:22:0,
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr]                  from ./arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/local64.h:1,
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr]                  from ./include/linux/u64_stats_sync.h:72,
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr]                  from ./include/linux/cgroup-defs.h:20,
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr]                  from ./include/linux/cgroup.h:28,
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr]                  from ./include/linux/memcontrol.h:13,
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr]                  from ./include/linux/swap.h:9,
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr]                  from ./include/linux/suspend.h:5,
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr]                  from init/do_mounts.c:7:
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr] ./arch/powerpc/include/asm/local.h:20:24: note: expected 鈥榮truct local_t *鈥� but argument is of type 鈥榗onst struct local_t *鈥�
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr]  static __inline__ long local_read(local_t *l)
13:25:10 ERROR| [stderr]                         ^
13:25:11 ERROR| [stderr] In file included from ./include/linux/cgroup-defs.h:20:0,
13:25:11 ERROR| [stderr]                  from ./include/linux/cgroup.h:28,
13:25:11 ERROR| [stderr]                  from ./include/linux/hugetlb.h:9,
13:25:11 ERROR| [stderr]                  from arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_64_vio_hv.c:16:
13:25:11 ERROR| [stderr] ./include/linux/u64_stats_sync.h: In function 鈥榰64_stats_read鈥�:
13:25:11 ERROR| [stderr] ./include/linux/u64_stats_sync.h:80:2: error: passing argument 1 of 鈥榣ocal_read鈥� discards 鈥榗onst鈥� qualifier from pointer target type [-Werror]
13:25:11 ERROR| [stderr]   return local64_read(&p->v);
13:25:11 ERROR| [stderr]   ^

I see some recent code changes here

9dfd871481c8e9c512938e9ce632beed645363e0 Merge branch 'u64_stats_t'
fd2f4737870eb866537fbbffa2b59414b9b0c0a2 net: use u64_stats_t in struct
pcpu_lstats
5260dd3ed1ff7eba39251b28977e4d8950e2f099 tun: switch to u64_stats_t
316580b69d0a7aeeee5063af47438b626bc47cbd u64_stats: provide u64_stats_t
type

-- 
Regard's

Abdul Haleem
IBM Linux Technology Centre