Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/19] Enable various Renesas drivers on all ARM platforms

From: Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart-ryLnwIuWjnjg/[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 18:05:53 +0100

Hi Mark,

On Tuesday 29 October 2013 09:04:49 Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 03:04:27PM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> > I think this is a step in a good direction.
> > However, I think it would be even better if the architecture dependency
> > was removed completely.
> 
> Yes, please.

I've kept it for two reasons.

The first one is that I can't compile-test all those drivers on all 
architectures. The spi-sh-msiof driver, for instance, uses io(read|write)(16|
32) which are not available on all architectures. There might be other similar 
problems that I can't catch, and I don't want to introduce build breakages in 
the kernel.

The second reason is that, as the IP cores have never been used on anything 
but SuperH and ARM, I don't like the idea of clobbering the config process 
with drivers that are useless on the target architecture. Now that we have a 
COMPILE_TEST Kconfig option, my preference would thus go to SUPERH || ARM || 
COMPILE_TEST over no dependency at all.

-- 
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart