Subject: Re: XDP seeking input from NIC hardware vendors

From: Thomas Monjalon via iovisor-dev <iovisor-dev-9jONkmmOlFHEE9lA1F8Ukti2O/[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 15:31:44 +0200

Hi,

About RX filtering, there is an ongoing effort in DPDK to write an API
which could leverage most of the hardware capabilities of any NICs:
	https://rawgit.com/6WIND/rte_flow/master/rte_flow.html
	http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.networking.dpdk.devel/43352
I understand that XDP does not target to support every hardware features,
though it may be an interesting approach to check.

2016-07-12 22:32, Jesper Dangaard Brouer via iovisor-dev:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 12:13:01 -0700
> John Fastabend <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 
> > Another use case I have is to make a really high performance AF_PACKET
> > interface. So if there was a way to say bind a queue to an AF_PACKET
> > ring and run a policy XDP program before hitting the AF_PACKET
> > descriptor bit that would be really interesting because it would solve
> > some of my need for poll mode drivers in userspace.

Have you started this work?
Do you have an idea of how RX would perform through XDP + AF_PACKET + DPDK?

> +1 yes, a super fast AF_PACKET is also on my wish/todo list for XDP.
> It would basically allow for implementing DPDK or netmap on top of XDP
> (as least the RX side) without needing to run a NIC driver in userspace.

Why TX would not be possible through AF_PACKET?