Subject: Re: [Pv-drivers] [PATCH 0/6] VSOCK for Linux upstreaming

From: Andy King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:42:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi Sasha,

Thanks for taking a look.

> So all the documentation I see in the VMCI Socket Programming Guide
> is about userspace programming, and the documentation in af_vsock.c
> is all around implementation considerations.

Agreed, we're sorely lacking in proper documentation for the internal
protocol.  We're in the process of writing such a specification and
will post it to LKML next week at the latest.

> example, whats the deal with REQUEST/REQUEST2? it appears like
> something to deal with legacy code, but I'd really like to have it
> documented somewhere instead of trying to figure how everything

Correct, we have a legacy protocol and a v2, the latter now being
the default.  This particular packet is sent by the client when
initiating a STREAM connection.  The sequence is REQUEST(2)->
NEGOTIATE(2)->OFFER->ACCEPT.  It will be properly documented in
the specification we post next week.

Thanks!
- Andy