Subject: RE: quic in-kernel implementation?

From: David Laight <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:17:45 +0000

From: Jakub Kicinski
> Sent: 09 June 2021 17:48
...
> > > I think two veth interfaces can help to test something like that,
> > > either with a "fuse-like socket" on the other end or an user space
> > > application. Just doing a ping-pong example.
> > >
> > > Afterwards we can look at how to replace the user generated socket
> > > application with any $LIBQUIC e.g. msquic implementation as second
> > > step.
> >
> > Socket state management is complex and timers etc in userspace are hard.
> 
> +1 seeing the struggles fuse causes in storage land "fuse for sockets"
> is not an exciting temporary solution IMHO..

Especially since you'd want reasonable performance for quic.

Fuse is normally used to access obscure filesystems where
you just need access, rather than something that really
needs to be quick.

	David

-
Registered Address Lakeside, Bramley Road, Mount Farm, Milton Keynes, MK1 1PT, UK
Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)