Subject: Re: e1000 speed/duplex error

From: a1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 11:34:02 +0400

Hi, Auke.

Auke Kok wrote:
AK> Here's that part of the driver documentation:

AK> $ modprobe e1000 AutoNeg=0x08
AK> e1000: 0000:00:00.0: e1000_validate_option: AutoNeg advertising 100/FD

AK>   99 /* Auto-negotiation Advertisement Override
AK> 100  *
AK> 101  * Valid Range: 0x01-0x0F, 0x20-0x2F (copper); 0x20 (fiber)
AK> 102  *
AK> 103  * The AutoNeg value is a bit mask describing which speed and duplex
AK> 104  * combinations should be advertised during auto-negotiation.
AK> 105  * The supported speed and duplex modes are listed below
AK> 106  *
AK> 107  * Bit           7     6     5      4      3     2     1      0
AK> 108  * Speed (Mbps)  N/A   N/A   1000   N/A    100   100   10     10
AK> 109  * Duplex                    Full          Full  Half  Full   Half
AK> 110  *
AK> 111  * Default Value: 0x2F (copper); 0x20 (fiber)
AK> 112  */

This is not what I'm thinking of. Say, for example, I have a bunch of
e1000 adapters in my box and want to dynamically change one's spd/dplx.
For that works in the way you described I need to stop all of them and
load with autoneg parameter (can I pass this parameter only to single
card?) and loose all connection I had on other adapters.
It would be better to handle it in ethtool way, since I discovered
it's a common behavior.
Thanks.

AK> hth,

AK> Auke

-- 
Best Regards,
 Alexandr Kotov                       mailto:[email-masked]