Subject: Re: SIOCADDMULTI for unicast broken

From: jamal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 12:43:49 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> I wonder if there are any good uses for more advanced RX filtering that
> is beginning to appear.  I could certainly imagine an interface that was
> a more generic RX filtering interface, and [just by accident] happened
> to support existing unicast and multicast rx-mode-related controls.
>
> As vendors stuff features onto cards and try to figure out where is the
> best dividing line between TCP stack acceleration and TCP stack offload,
> it seems to me that recent cards more often than not have nice RX
> filtering capabilities.  If you look at the world through GigE-colored
> glasses, the RX filtering picture gets even better.  There are some fun
> SMP implications with flexible enough RX filtering, for example.
>

Davem had some nifty ideas on this at least for TOE. I think we ought to
start looking at that direction. Anyone who is working on this please
involve me, i have some ideas (and it would avoid me stressing you
when you output code).

cheers,
jamal