Subject: Re: simple change to qdisc_restart()

From: Eric Lemoine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:57:25 +0200

>    From: Eric Lemoine <[email-masked]>
>    Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:22:17 +0200
>    
>    Any comments regarding the following patch?
> 
> I understand why it is valid, etc., but why do we even want to do
> this?  It is not like this dead-loop detection stuff is a hot-path or
> anything like that.

I've implemented a prototype that uses per-CPU kernel threads for
processing packets coming in from a single interface. The idea is to
apply multiple CPUs to a single network interface to be able to have
multiple CPUs simultaneously pumping data into the network. So in my
case, I have lots of cpu_collisions and running the tx softirq to do
nothing may lower the performances. Anyway, even though my patch may
help me, it may indeed be irrelevant to the stock kernel.

Thx.

-- 
Eric