Subject: Re: netdev_ops?

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:27:19 -0700

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:24:00 -0700
Ben Greear <[email-masked]> wrote:

> My goal is a place to add new generic net-device ioctls without having
> to worry about testing the ioctls on various platforms

Your patch adds ethtool stuff, which works perfectly fine
on all platforms, even sparc64 when executing 32-bit binaries.

Just add it to your drivers if you want them supported in
2.4.x

> (You've said
> before you don't like when I try to add new ioctls because I break SPARC and
> who knows what else...)

You're not adding new ioctls here, you adding a default implementation
of an existing ioctl, and this kind of code is of no issue wrt
SPARC/PPC/MIPS/etc. ioctl translation for 32-bit applications running
on a 64-bit kernel.

> My patch looks like this, and it has zero impact on drivers.  It's primary
> benefit is to get around adding more ioctls:

You gain nothing from this patch, just put it into your drivers.

Your patch is even more useless than I thought it was going to
be. :-)