Subject: Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:53:02 -0700

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:52:19 +0200
Stephan von Krawczynski <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:57:17 -0700
> "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"
> > -Jon Postel
> 
> If I understood what Richard said in this thread Jon just shot you
> down. The conservative way to _request_ arp would definitely be to
> request it from the "correct" subnet, because as a sender you ought
> to give credit to knowing that "bad" boxes out there won't answer if
> you do otherwise.

In the ARP request we are using the source address in the packet we
are building for output.

If ARP doesn't work using that source address, we can only assume IP
communication is not possible either.

It is the box not responding to this ARP which is preventing
communication not the box creating the ARP request.