Subject: Re: [RFC] Silencing needless printk in socket.c

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 01:48:38 -0700

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 14:41:09 -0400 (EDT)
Burton Windle <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Would anyone object to a patch that wraps the printk in
> linux/net/socket.c:1897 in a 'if debug'?
> 
> This first appeared around 2.6.0-test5; the output may be helpful to a
> developer, but I don't think it is needed in the normal dmesg.

Yes it is needed, and since in the same changes that _ADDED_
this new printk I _REMOVED_ all the numerous per-protocol printks
that were printed out.

Less stuff is printed out now than before, and now this is the
only indication that a particular protocol family got registered
or unregistered successfully.

We're not removing this.  This is especially the case beause people
like you didn't complain at all when we used to get 4 or 5 lines of
printk messages for each of these protocols when they started up or
shut down.