Subject: Re: [PATCH 2.6]: Make packet scheduler clock source configurable

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:54:59 -0700

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 19:14:48 +0200
Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Patrick McHardy wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure x86, x86_64, alpha, sparc64, ppc64 and ia64 can
> > be used. I'm not sure if the frequency of all ppcs is high enough,
> > so I won't add support for them.
> 
> This is the patch for configurable clock source. I've double-checked
> the arches, I think all mentioned above work fine. I've taken some text
> from Stephen's patch for the help text .. thanks ;)

We can't use this stuff on Alpha, it's cycle counter overflows after
just 10 minutes.  It works very strangely, something like only the
lower 32-bits are guarenteed to be continually incrementing.

I'm going to apply your patch and delete the Alpha parts.
Meanwhile, ping Richard Henderson ([email-masked]) or one
of the other Alpha experts for me to get confirmation on
this stuff.

Thanks.