Subject: Re: [PATCH] NETIF_F_LLTX for devices 2

From: Andi Kleen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:21:16 +0200

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 09:33:35AM -0400, jamal wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 16:47, David S. Miller wrote:
> 
> > 
> > We are merely moving the sch_generic.c locking logic into the
> > drivers.  The behavior is entirely equivalent except that one
> > level of unnecessary locking has been removed.
> > 
> > I think his change is valid, will not break existing drivers (as
> > you mentioned as well Jamal), and works well for the cases he has
> > shown patches of.  So I'm going to apply his patch.
> > 
> > BTW, if we are really concerned about some existing driver returning
> > -1 from hard_start_xmit() without the new feature flag being enabled,
> > we can test for that and log a debugging message if it happens.

The -1 test is only done when LLTX is set. So even when a existing
driver does that it's fine. Only the drivers that set the new bit
need to be checked.

> 
> I am not 100% happy but let me do some testing on it. Would the best
> image be the latest bk snapshot?

What exactly are you not happy about?

-Andi