Subject: Re: 2.6.9 failed assertion in tcp_timer.c

From: Phil Oester <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:58:15 -0700

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 09:24:03AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Actually, I think we've caught your crash now.  If that code path
> is triggering at all, then it'll trigger with TSO packets too.  If
> we get a truly partial ack on a TSO packet, then tcp_tso_acked will
> not trim it off.  So we will fall through to this last-ditch trim
> call, which doesn't update packets_out.
> 
> There are two solutions to this problem.  I've taken the simpler
> approach for now.  We simply trim off the partial bits in tcp_tso_acked
> and live with the fact that the packet counters may differ from
> what's on the netwrok by one.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Herbert Xu <[email-masked]>
> 
> Later on we can "fix" this by remembering where the original TSO
> packet started from, perhaps in skb->h or somewhere.  Dave, is this
> worth it?

Looks like your most recent 2 patches did the trick.  Uptime on the
test box is over 4 hours, whereas before I could count on a panic
within about an hour.  I'll continue running 2.6.9 + your patches
and let you know if this changes...

Thanks,
Phil