Subject: Re: Memory leak in 2.6.11-rc1?

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:48:53 +0000

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 08:03:15PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> I think I may be seeing something odd here, maybe a possible memory leak.
> The only problem I have is wondering whether I'm actually comparing like
> with like.  Maybe some networking people can provide a hint?
> 
> Below is gathered from 2.6.11-rc1.
> 
> bash-2.05a# head -n2 /proc/slabinfo
> slabinfo - version: 2.1
> # name            <active_objs> <num_objs> <objsize> <objperslab> <pagesperslab>
> bash-2.05a# cat /proc/net/rt_cache | wc -l; grep ip_dst /proc/slabinfo
> 115
> ip_dst_cache         759    885    256   15    1
> bash-2.05a# cat /proc/net/rt_cache | wc -l; grep ip_dst /proc/slabinfo
> 117
> ip_dst_cache         770    885    256   15    1
> bash-2.05a# cat /proc/net/rt_cache | wc -l; grep ip_dst /proc/slabinfo
> 133
> ip_dst_cache         775    885    256   15    1
> bash-2.05a# cat /proc/net/rt_cache | wc -l; grep ip_dst /proc/slabinfo
> 18
> ip_dst_cache         664    885    256   15    1
>...
> bash-2.05a# cat /proc/net/rt_cache | wc -l; grep ip_dst /proc/slabinfo
> 24
> ip_dst_cache         675    885    256   15    1
> bash-2.05a# cat /proc/net/rt_cache | wc -l; grep ip_dst /proc/slabinfo
> 24
> ip_dst_cache         669    885    256   15    1
> 
> I'm fairly positive when I rebooted the machine a couple of days ago,
> ip_dst_cache was significantly smaller for the same number of lines in
> /proc/net/rt_cache.

FYI, today it looks like this:

bash-2.05a# cat /proc/net/rt_cache | wc -l; grep ip_dst /proc/slabinfo
26
ip_dst_cache         820   1065    256   15    1 

So the dst cache seems to have grown by 151 in 16 hours...  I'll continue
monitoring and providing updates.

-- 
Russell King
 Linux kernel    2.6 ARM Linux   - http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/
 maintainer of:  2.6 PCMCIA      - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/
                 2.6 Serial core