Subject: Re: Last night Linus bk - netfilter busted?

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:51:36 -0800

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:00:56 +0100
Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Works fine here. You could try if reverting one of these two patches
> helps (second one only if its a SMP box).
> 
> [email-masked], 2005-03-09 20:28:17-08:00, [email-masked]
>    [NETFILTER]: Reduce call chain length in netfilter (take 2)

It's this change, I know it is, because Linus sees the same problem
on his workstation.

You wouldn't happen to be seeing this problem on a PPC box would
you?  Since Linus's machine is a PPC machine too, that would support
my theory that this could be a compiler issue on that platform.

Damn, wait, Patrick, I think I know what's happening.  The iptables
IPT_* verdicts are dependant upon the NF_* values, and they don't
cope with Bart's changes I bet.  Can you figure out what the exact
error would be?  This kind of issue would explain the looping inside
of ipt_do_table(), wouldn't it?